{charmed earth}

The Lifestyle blog of Katie Storms.: something simple, something sweet, something styled.

08 May 2012

{something landowne life} guest post by erin

 My friend Erin has an amazing blog. I love her style, her passion, and her drive. She spends her days making her home such a beautiful home, all while taking care of her sweet daughter Elise. I am so happy that Erin decided to do a guest post for me.
 
Here's her mini outdoor art installation

There's something unexpected about backyard art, especially art you've made yourself. Here's a quick, cheap and easy (trifecta!) way to bring some non-living color into your greenspace. As a bonus, your installation will be a bright spot of color in winter when all the green has faded from the landscape.
Supplies: Wood shims (from the hardware store), craft or latex paints, paint brushes, hammer

Shims are thin, wedge-shaped strips of wood. They are normally used in construction to level things like doors or cabinets during installation, but you can repurpose them for all sorts of uses. I found two sizes at Lowes for just a few dollars a pack. The 8-inch shims came in packs of 14 for about $1.50. The 12-inch shims were about $4 for a pack of 42. 

For an even cheaper (i.e. free) option, think about subsituting small pieces of scrap wood or even twigs.

A word of caution: shims are not sanded smooth! The ones I worked with had plenty of splinters on the edges. Handle with care.
Now's the fun part; paint them however you like! I used a combination of craft paints and latex paint samples. I painted mine very simply, knowing the rainbow of colors would come together when installed. You don't need to be an artist to pull this off, so don't be intimidated.

I chose to let my shims weather naturally, but if you want yours to last longer, make sure to use paints labeled for outdoor use.

After the paint is dry, they're ready to take outside.

I have several huge trees in my yard and nothing much grows near the heavily shaded roots. It's a perfect place for a mini art installation. I used a regular hammer to drive them into the ground (pointed side down). It's really easy to do, especially if the ground is damp.

These look best en masse, so paint a bunch and group them close.
Erin Heaton is a mother, lifelong writer and artist, and a lover of old houses. Visit her at Lansdowne Life, where she blogs about painting, sewing, gluing, decorating, and all sorts of other stuff.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the kind intro, Katie. And for posting one of my crazy ideas!

    ReplyDelete