{charmed earth}

The Lifestyle blog of Katie Storms.: something simple, something sweet, something styled.

14 May 2012

{something back to basics} drain cleaning

We have a stubborn drain in our upstairs bathroom. It's one of those old house problems that can't be a quick fix by a plumber. And though the drain never runs perfectly, just slowly, it does speed up a bit when it's regularly cleaned.

I'm not a fan of the drain cleaners they sell in the stores. They scare me.  I see so many cons with them: they cost a lot of money, they are poisonous, they can ruin your old pipes, they don't work miracles, and so on.

This is the inexpensive DIY drain cleaner I am friends with:

Supplies: baking soda, apple cider vinegar, and boiling water. Use a cup of each {perhaps more vinegar and water if you need it}.

Step-by-Step: pour your baking soda down the drain. Pour your vinegar over the baking soda, and allow it to fizz, explode, bubble, until the baking soda dissolves. Add more vinegar if you need it. You can also let this set overnight. Then, clear the drain with boiling hot water. The end.

The key is to clean your drains before they run slowly or back up. And this one is actually really fun--it reminds me of making volcanoes in elementary school. I love watching the explosive reaction between the vinegar and baking soda. I mean, cleaning drains can't be any more exciting. Plus, I think it might be a fun chore for kids when they are older.

Happy Cleaning!
xo

2 comments:

  1. I'm actually really glad I read this. We just moved into our new house, and the drains in two of our bathrooms are slow to drain. I'm going to try this as soon as I get to the store to buy supplies. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, Katie! I was very happy when I did this with my sister way back… This DIY is truly helpful when it comes to unclogging the sink. The bubble “thingy” thrilled me even more. I guess that volcano project we’ve been having in our elementary lessons is also a good way to show how baking powder and vinegar work well together when it comes to cleaning and clearing the sink and drains.

    ReplyDelete