{charmed earth}

The Lifestyle blog of Katie Storms.: something simple, something sweet, something styled.

07 April 2012

{something art journal} quick little splinters of life

Here's a glimpse at my process for art and writing in my newest art journal. Glimpses of the ABeautifulMess blog have gotten me inspired to make this part of my daily routine for a few months. Paper journals are so much fun.

I love the illustrations on vintage sewing patterns. And whenever I see one I like for 25-cents or less at a thrift spot or estate sale, I have to have it. What I love about the patterns is that the insides are just as wonderful for art journal pages or to use for wrapping paper.

Art Process: For this layout, I used the following supplies: vintage sewing pattern, washi tape, glaze ink pen, art fair business card, vintage postage stamp, date stamp.

I thought this image reflected my style right now--longer dark hair, simple pink dress for baby Jupiter. To get the same effect as I've created, use an x-acto knife to cut the model from the pattern, getting rid of all of the background. I used a vintage stamp with an image of Missouri because I am a Missouri girl. Then I stamped my birth date on the pretty floral business card. I added touches of washi tape in gold because I just love gold and pink together. If I was planning another wedding, my colors might be blush, bashful, and gold. I wrote my age, 29+1, with a wonderful black glaze gelly roll pen.

Journal Process: I found a collection of poems by D.H. Lawrence that I hadn't read for a really long time. As I was reading, I fell in love with so many of the lines--that I began collecting them**quick little splinters of life**Persephone herself is but a voice**shedding darkness on the lost bride and her groom** after collection my favorites, I arranged them into a new poem of my own. This form of poetry is called a cento, kind of like a poetry mash-up. I think it was the perfect way to start my art journal.

I hope you keep reading for more art process and journal process ideas...

xo
katie scarlett

No comments:

Post a Comment