{charmed earth}

The Lifestyle blog of Katie Storms.: something simple, something sweet, something styled.

13 March 2012

{something sunday morning} pancakes from the pantry


Last Sunday we still hadn't been to the grocery store for nearly eight days. And I woke up hungry, hungry like a hippo. As I opened my favorite bread cookbook, The Bread Bible {published by Chronicle Books} I crossed my fingers: did we have more than two cups of milk left? Yes. Relief.

As Jv sat watching his morning news, I whipped up the most satisfying and delicious pancakes. The recipe made more than we could handle, so we froze the leftovers.


Here's the recipe below. I used 1% milk instead of buttermilk, and I added a tsp. of vanilla extract because that's what my mama always did. And if it was St. Patrick's Day morning, I would have added a drop or two of green food coloring just like Mama:)

Old-fashioned Buttermilk Pancakes
Ingredients:
2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
Large pinch of salt
2 1/4 cups buttermilk {I had to use 1% milk}
3 large eggs
4 tablespoons butter melted
1 teaspoon vanilla {my secret ingredient}


Step-by-Step
1. "In a small bowl, combine flour, baking soda, and salt. In another bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, eggs, and melted butter. Pour the buttermilk mixture into the dry ingredients, stirring just until moistened. Do not overmix: the batter will have small lumps. Gently fold in any additional ingredients at this time" (Hensperger 237).

2. "Heat griddle or heavy skillet over medium heat until a drop of water dances over the surface, and lightly grease it. Using a 1/4-cup measure for each pancake, pour the batter onto the griddle. Cook about 2 minutes, or until bubbles form on the surface, the edges are dry, and the bottoms are golden brown. The second side will take half the time to cook as the first side. Serve immediately or keep warm in a 200-degree F oven until ready to serve" (Hensperger 237).

Don't you just love the Sunday morning sunshine? And isn't the beautiful shape of the pancake so elegant and charming all at the same time?

3 comments:

  1. Oh,,,,yummmm.. love pancakes.

    xoxo Ra

    ReplyDelete
  2. "...watching his morning news"??? I don't know that I've watched morning news in my entire life. I guess I can understand, though, if you're too embarrassed to write "...playing Legend of Zelda."

    ReplyDelete