{charmed earth}

The Lifestyle blog of Katie Storms.: something simple, something sweet, something styled.

25 March 2012

{something breakfast} cinnamon french toast


There's something about wanting a good breakfast and relying on the panty on the weekends. It should be a feature: breakfast on the weekend with the pantry.

Yesterday I decided I wanted a real breakfast. But, as usual, we didn't have every ingredient under the sun.

This is what I did find: cinnamon raisin bread in the freezer, vanilla extract and sugar and cinnamon in the pantry, eggs and milk in the fridge. Simple enough to make one of my favorites: Cinnamon French Toast. Yum.

Here's the easy recipe, almost just like Mama makes. She just usually used regular toast.

Step One: Whisk 3-4 eggs in a bowl. Add a drop of milk and vanilla extract. Whisk until combined.
Step Two: Heat a teaspoon of butter in your skillet.
Step Three: Defrost your bread if it's frozen. Then dip it to coat both sides in the egg mixture.
Step Four: Add your bread to the skillet. You will flip it in about 30-seconds.
Step Five: While the egg-dipped toast is cooking, mix the cinnamon and sugar in a shallow bowl. I usually use about 1/4 c. of sugar to about a teaspoon of cinnamon.
Step Six: Once your bread is "toasted" and the egg is cooked through on both sides, put the toast in the cinnamon-sugar mixture. Coast the toast well. Be sure to do this step while the toast is still hot to be sure the sugar sticks.

Yum. Enjoy!

I usually keep the cinnamon-sugar mixture in a glass jar in the pantry. It's perfect for sprinkling on melted butter with regular toast or on ice cream. Just don't reuse the leftovers from the Cinnamon French Toast. They will get too clumpy.

xo

2 comments:

  1. I love a good weekend breakfast, it's my weekly indulgence. Your cinnamon french toast looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Trishie! It was delicious. I almost wish I made it again this Monday morning!

      Delete