{charmed earth}

The Lifestyle blog of Katie Storms.: something simple, something sweet, something styled.

29 December 2011

{something hot, something sewn} handmade pot holders DIY


My sister Lissa asked for handmade potholders for her birthday in October. I never got around to it. That is until now. I found some fabulous Christmas Grinch fabric and some just for fun fabric.

I spent the evening and night cutting and sewing like a little elf to create twenty of these beautiful gifts. I'm saving some for future birthdays for friends, but I just know my sister will adore them...a few months late.

If you want to sew these on your own, here's the supply list and a written step-by-step. I forgot to snap photos as I was creating.


Supplies: pretty fabric, thread, cotton batting, ribbon, scissors, and a sewing machine.

Step-by-Step:
Step One: Cut your fabric into your desired size squares. You will need two squares per potholder. I just traced around a potholder I already had in the kitchen. And I didn't measure.
Step Two: Place your fabric pretty sides facing.
Step Three: Using your sewing machine, sew three sides of the fabric, so that you have an open pouch. Step Four: Turn the fabric right side out.
Step Five: Cut three layers of batting the size of your potholder.
Step Six: Place the batting inside the pocket. Trim it so that there's about half and inch to an inch more fabric than batting.
Step Seven: Tuck your unsewn top layers inside.
Step Eight: Add a loop of ribbon at the corner of the open end.
Step Nine: Sew shut. Move slowly with your machine. You might want to use heavy duty needles. I didn't. One broke, but then I moved slowly. During this step I also used a shiny silver thread.
Step Ten: Sew around the entire potholder, with about a quarter inch border around the edge.
Step Eleven: Sew a letter "x" across the potholder, if you desire.


Yay! You did it. I know I need photos! But if you have questions, just ask me. It's such a delightful gift. I, of course, made a few more for myself. And these are tried and true in my kitchen. The batting has enough layers to protect your hands!

xo
katie

4 comments:

  1. Love the Grinch! All your fabric choices, really. Also, this is weird because I was behind a girl in Jo-Anns yesterday who was going to make a bunch of these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the compliments on the fabric choices, Erin! I can't wait to get together some more combinations to create some pillows to update our living room! xo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love, love, looove these. The fabric & color combo in the top photo are my favs. Too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love these!! I will have to try making some :) My goal for this year is to make more handmade things!

    ReplyDelete