{charmed earth}

The Lifestyle blog of Katie Storms.: something simple, something sweet, something styled.

28 June 2011

Something Paper: First Wedding Anniversary


I love a challenge. One of my favorite parts about wedding anniversaries is the traditional/modern gift list. It's a wonderful way to play into my creative thoughts with a specific medium in mind. And JV likes that it makes choosing a gift for me a little bit easier. Since both of us ordered year five gifts on etsy that are currently still not here, I thought I'd share the first four years with you.

Year One: The traditional gift is paper; the modern, clocks. 

For our first wedding anniversary we celebrated at a Bed and Breakfast out at the wineries. It was very sweet.

JV's gift to me: JV gave me a photography session with my favorite portrait photographer in his hometown---Joe Craig. I usually try not to complain on my blog, but one of my regrets is not asking Joe Craig to travel to Kansas City to do our wedding. Our wedding photos turned out ok, but if I did it again, I would splurge on the photography--big time! Since JV knew this is what I wanted, his paper gift to me was the photos. I truly cherish them. He's so sweet and thoughtful.



My gift to JV: Our first date--back in January 2001--was at the Petite 3 Theater in our college town. But by 2002, the town decided to open a Cinema 8 downtown, and the Petite 3 was no more. I searched online for hours, hoping to come across a photo of the theater. I even contacted the editors for the town's local newspaper and the college's newspaper. No one had a photo of this magical place. Then, finally, one day, I found a photo. But the resolution was impossible to blow up to anything more than 2x3 inches. I thought I was out of luck. But, I finally thought of one of the most talented artists I know--one of my husband's groomsmen--T. The second I contacted T, he agreed to let me commission him to do the custom work--drawing the Petite 3 Theater. He even built the frame and shipped it from where he was living. It was a total success, and JV adores it. And so do I. T even penciled in the title of the movie from our first date, Save the Last Dance. Terrible movie, but I will always save the last dance for JV, forever and ever.

If you have creative paper gift ideas, let us know about them in your comments!

xo,
katie

1 comment:

  1. For our first anniversary, Shawn gave me a book, "The Pursuit of Happyness" and even though, yes, the book is sad, he said that marrying me was a pursuit of happiness. Yay! And I gave him a new portfolio for his artwork (I figured, it held paper).

    I hope you post about your other gift years, I'd love to hear what other couples did since we are also doing the traditional gifts.

    ReplyDelete