{charmed earth}

The Lifestyle blog of Katie Storms.: something simple, something sweet, something styled.

03 February 2011

Something Forever Young: Bob Dylan, Meet Juliet



Dear Juliet:
Jay-Z's Young Forever is stuck in my head; Alphaville's Forever Young is, too. I know thou does not get the reference. It's too contemporary. But these songs have been stuck in my mind since 2nd hour this morning. We're reading your story, Romeo and Juliet.

Today, we studied the night monologue in 3.2. And somewhere between your desire for young Romeo to climb the rope ladder and your line about cutting him into stars, I slipped a question: What do we know about Juliet's fate?

A chorus of teenagers sang back to me: she'll die. That's right, I sang back: She'll die forever young. Then a corner chorus of teenagers broke out in song: Forever Young. And for a moment we paused: it's so sad, Juliet. You rushed into a marriage with dear Romeo without thinking. We hardly know you. But today, at half past nine, we sang a song for you, wishing you weren't forever young, wishing we could change the ending to a story we've known forever.

xo.

No comments:

Post a Comment