{charmed earth}

The Lifestyle blog of Katie Storms.: something simple, something sweet, something styled.

09 November 2010

Something Without: Ten Month Confession


"Let's start with ridiculous and work backwards" 
~Stranger Than Fiction

Ten Months. Ten Months without buying a bottle of lip gloss. Ten Months without buying a new nail polish. Ten Months without buying a shiny pack of black Flair pens. Ten Months without buying body wash. Ten Months without buying cotton balls. Ten Months without buying press and seal Gladwrap. Ten Months without buying stationary. Ten Months without buying new books. Ten Months without buying new dishes. Ten months without buying new picture frames. Ten months without buying a new hair dryer. Ten months without buying new slippers.

Ten Months without buying A LOT.

Maybe I can even count it as ten-and-a-half with the tone of a ten-and-a-half-year-old that's almost eleven.

And I suppose ten was my limit. I broke down with birthday cash in September, and tried to pass it off as "okay." And I know it's cliche, but I can't help but think of dear Emma Thompson as Karen Eiffel in Stranger Than Fiction. I'm "okay" with ten months.

But this weekend, when the mall called to me and my Anthropologie giftcard, I admitted defeat: a new shirt and a new scarf. Yes. The total exceeded the giftcard.

And then when Target boasted their new fall lines, I admitted total destruction: a new sweater (inspired by the one marked $128 at Anthropologie), a new dress, and two new, unstretched t-shirts. All new.

I almost made it. And I'm still not giving up. But I thought you should know.



2 comments:

  1. okay i don't mean to be the devils advocate but it was your birthday month! it wasn't money that you earned so it is different! i think you are still golden and OH SO AMAZING for not buying anything for 10 months...10 MONTHS!!! i don't think i could last a month! so there was gap in the month of september, it was your birthday and what better way to celebrate then use your anthropologie gift card. don't be so hard on yourself, you are amazing! your still an inspiration sweetie! oh by the way....happy belated birthday!

    xo,
    cb

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, you are definitely an inspiration to me!! I think what you have done here is amazing. Just thought you should know!

    ReplyDelete