{charmed earth}

The Lifestyle blog of Katie Storms.: something simple, something sweet, something styled.

01 March 2010

Something from Scratch


Guess what I made?! Cheddar Biscuits. Scones. Jam Thumbprints. Buttermilk Biscuits. Dinner Rolls with Poppy Seeds. Black Bean Soup. Lentil Soup. White Bean Tuscan Soup. Fresh Whipped Cream. Magnolia Cupcakes with Buttercream Icing. Hummus.

I didn't want to let it all loose at once, but I couldn't help myself and my pride. It all started with the bag of self-rising flour in the refrigerator. I bought it to make Magnolia Cupcakes for a Trivia Night a few weeks back. It's a necessary ingredient for the amazing bakery treat, but the recipe only calls for a cup or less. And since the self-rising stuff usually expires before I can bake another batch, I usually (embarrassed look here) throw it away.

This time, I read the recipes on the back: Easy, smeazy Cheddar Biscuits. My charming husband loves them. And they are super simple to bake: 2 1/4 c. self-rising flour, 2 t. sugar, 1 stick butter, 1 c. milk, buttermilk, or cream, 3/4-1c. cheddar cheese. You simply mix the sugar and flour. Then add the butter (I cut it into small chunks). Cut the butter into the flour using a fork (or if you are lucky, a pastry cutter). Next, add the buttermilk and cheese. Then drop 'em on a pan and cook for 12 minutes at 450 degrees.

After they bake, microwave a tablespoon or two of butter and add 1/2 t. garlic powder or salt. Brush the biscuits. Impress everyone!

And now my bag of flour isn't going to go to waste. And I've saved a ton on the grocery bill. I stock up on butter on sale, cheese on sale, and we always have milk and sugar. It's so simple! So instead taking in a hefty night and bill at your local Red Lobster, whip up a batch and serve hot with a cup of lentil soup like we are for dinner tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment