{charmed earth}

The Lifestyle blog of Katie Storms.: something simple, something sweet, something styled.

05 January 2010

Something Simple


Something Simple.

My friend DC and I were talking about my blog today. I was trying to come up with something to write. And I noticed the water bottle on the table beside her. It was half full, the plastic crinkled, the label boasting the Wal-Mart store brand.

And then I thought about my Camelbak water bottle. My mother surprised me with it on my birthday, and I love it. It's pink, it says "peace," and it tells me to drink tap water. And I do. I made this simple change at the start of the school year for a reason beyond Mother Earth: money. At the start of every school year, members of the English department chip in for bottled water to be delivered to school (It's one of those water cooler systems I always laugh at when I see it on The Office). It's over $40 a semester to participate in the "Water Club." At the time, I thought that I'd rather buy a new pair of jeans for $80. So I opted out and decided to walk to the water fountain every time I needed to fill my bottle.

This brings me to the simple question: How far is the water fountain from your desk at work? How far is the community water jug?

Mine's about the same distance.

Back to the bottle: My pink Camelbak water bottle is BPA free, and I wash it regularly. I know that those cool new aluminum water bottles are "better for you," and "better for Mother Earth." But I can't but a new one. That's the rules. And the one I own isn't harmful. I found this helpful link about the facts you may not know about that old hard plastic bottle you may still have tucked away in the back of your cabinet or the ever so popular "one-time-bulk-pack-bottle" you'd buy at the grocery store. Both are something to consider.

Here's the link: http://www.thegoodhuman.com/2008/03/17/choosing-a-safe-reusable-water-bottle/

And if you're trying to conserve like I am and don't have an aluminum or BPA free bottle, nothing's wrong with bringing in the old standby: the drinking glass from home. Or, better yet, kick back with a good old glass Mason jar.

4 comments:

  1. Love the blog and the concept. Is clothing biodegradable? That's where I might get into some trouble! Watch out for that tap water, lady. I'm an avid believer in the fact that a little dirt won't kill you, but there are some bad stories about tap water out there.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/13/us/13water.html
    Check your municipatlies track-record...if there is nothing sketchy that pulls up, then I say drink free water to your heart's content!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love drinking from glass Mason jars! It reminds me of my childhood. I think I'll bring some into work now after reading this:). Thanks, Katie. Love the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah for Lauran! Amy--I checked--no violations in my area! I enjoyed the times article!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you, Katie! My Camelbak bottle is great and goes to the gym with me every morning. Thanks to your blog's gentle challenge, from now on I'll walk to a drinking fountain rather than buying a disposable bottle of water (when I forget my Camelbak).
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete