{charmed earth}

The Lifestyle blog of Katie Storms.: something simple, something sweet, something styled.

03 January 2010

Charmed Earth


Something Borrowed, Something Used. Something Old, Something True.

This endeavor is something new. It's a challenge. My husband, charming as he is, is not a fan of Charmed Earth. It's reckless. It's calling for failure. It's a dance with temptation that I probably won't win. It's foolish. But, then again, so am I. I have 365 days. Not to work my way through Julia Child's cookbook (though I might throw in a few small tastes). No. I have 365 days to live and love the Earth. I have 365 days to live with something borrowed, something used, something old, and something true. January 4, 2010-January 4, 2011.

Definition: new (adj.): fresh or unused.

The rules: I can't buy anything new that isn't edible or biodegradable. I realized that I can't apply that to packaging of all foods, but I will be conscious of it as much as I can. Same goes for natural cleaning and hygiene. Sorry!

The exceptions: If I can't create or discover something borrowed, old, or used to gift to friends and family, I can buy them gifts for birthdays and holidays. They don't need to suffer my vain endeavor. I can receive new items as gifts, and I can spend my holiday gift cards on new items. I realized that I don't "need" anything except a new pair of walking shoes, so I'm going to get those new this month. Other than that, unless I can use it up (and I've run out of it--i.e. toothpaste, shampoo, cleaning sprays (I'll have to recycle the bottles)), eat it (i.e. yogurt and cereal--and I'm going to have to deal with the packaging--sorry)), or need it for survival (replacement of tires on my car or home repairs/necessary improvements (we've been planning a dishwasher since 2008)), I can't buy it new.

Day 1, January 3, 2010.

Confession: I made this goal after my first purchase of the year: two planners from ArtMart. Make that two overpriced planners from ArtMart. I don't need them. So I plan to return them first chance I get. Why?! Because I have a stack of sheet music that I decided to upcycle. The music notes are beautiful on one side, and I printed monthly calendars for 2010 on the other side. Something old became something new.

No comments:

Post a Comment